Saturday, January 24, 2009

Evidence of a not-so-well BEING

SEASONAL AFFECT DISORDER: Okay, if you have Seasonal Affect Disorder, you should never leave Utah unless you do not plan to return until MAY!!!!! We just spent 10 days in the warm Nevada sun -not to be confused with the warm California sun - and it was wonderful. My S.A.D. reared it's ugly head on the way home when the ambient temperature dropped from 70 degrees to 38 degrees. I bawled for 5 miles. I've been in bed ever (thanx Jude) since we hit the house. We had such an enjoyable time with our good friends in their desert home. We looked at a gazillion homes in the area - some that we really loved, but would have to sell our grandchildren to acquire. Doug is opposed to that notion. Anyway, it appears we are destined to take advantage of the generosity of our lovely friends if we want sunshine again - at least this winter.

OCD: There are a lot of bulletin boards in Nevada, not that normal people would notice that so much. Doug's always looking for a good deal, so we notice them. The spelling errors have always bugged me, but on this trip it got sort of out of hand. I had an overwhelming desire to carry a red pencil with me. I suppressed it. So maybe I'm not that crazy. Would this bug you?

HORSE BORDEING

I mean, even if you inadvertently left the a out, wouldn't you remember that haunting rule, "drop the e and add ing" ? I remember chanting that rule all the way home from 3rd grade. My mental illness surfaced sort of early I guess. (In my innocence, I thought I was just being a good student.) I had to fight the urge to take the number and offer to trade horse BOARDING for editing service. I don't have a horse though. Anyway, I recommend that they write there (j k 'ing) signs on there (j k'ing again) computer and use spell check. The downside of sharing this information with anyone is that now I will be too PARANOID to write anything for fear of making a grammatical or spelling error. Please know that I am not an English major. and certainly not a writer - I'm just crazy. I would appreciate it though, if you would tell me about my grammatical/spelling errors, so I can correct them. Humiliation is finding out that your Christmas letter of 1998 was full of them. Oh crap, now I have opened myself up to a deluge of red penciled replies. Scratch that request. It's gettin' cold again, I'd better get under the covers.

3 comments:

Nana & Papa of 16 said...

That's why I haven't sent out a Christmas letter for the last two years:-)

Kathy said...

OK. The thing that drives me absolutely Bonkers is "picture" , a photo or painting, and "pitcher" that holds liquid refreshment. You don't pronounce them the same way. Educated people talk about all the pitchers they took on their vacations. It makes me want to scream, but I have learned SUPREME self control and only mutter "picture" quietly under my breath. Kind of like parkay margerine---"butter". My husband rolls his eyes. Someday they are going to get stuck in his head.

Anne said...

I would go crazy. I'm an English major though so I always chalk it up to that.