Thursday, February 19, 2009

HOPE !!

We had an incredible Stake Conference last week. I can't stop thinking about it. The subject was HOPE. The talks were amazing. I really tried to go to conference with the right attitude this time. I need guidance in my life right now, I mean RIGHT NOW. One sister talked about Faith, Hope and Charity. She said that Faith and Charity have always been very clear to her, but Hope was just kind of there, not really meaning anything. Was it just wishing? In preparation for her talk, she looked it up in the dictionary. One definition was the usual: "wishing" ... the other: "trust, reliance" - these definitions truly struck her, as they did me. She talked about the Anti Nephi-Lehites and how they buried their weapons. She talked of us burying our fear, doubt, procrastination, etc. and the faith it will take to do so.



Our Stake President's talk was very powerful. He too spoke of Hope. He reminded us that faith replaces fear, and that faith is brought about by mental exertion. Even though things are getting tough, and bound to get tougher, we have reason to have hope (trust and reliance) in our Heavenly Father. He suggested that we turn off the media - that "they" know nothing -especially of OUR future; that we must go to the scriptures- to He who knows the end from the beginning. How many times do the scriptures remind us that if we are obedient, the Lord will bless us?



I came home that morning with a new hope - a trust that what we were taught is true and a reliance in my Savior. I refuse to be frightened over the events of the world. I refuse to feel despair. I will try harder each day to train myself to have faith - mentally exerting the strength to capture that little fraction I need to be happy.



That night we had Family Home Evening with about half of the kids and grandkids. Vincent gave the FHE lesson on Temples. I am so proud of him - and his parents for teaching him what's important. After the lesson some of us played Sponge Bob Monopoly. I hate Monopoly, but I played. I lost miserably, but loved every stinkin' minute of the game. I watched every move everyone made and loved sitting around the table with my eternal companion and part of our posterity.



I'd like to feel this way all of the time, but I don't. I write these experiences in my journal. When I'm feeling particularly crappy, I can read it and know that there is HOPE.

3 comments:

Anne said...

I loved Stake Conference too. I really needed that message. Brother Oaks made me cry and cry and cry!

~KELSEY~ said...

I miss you Mimi
love Kelsey (krisy's Kelsey)

Rebecca said...

Thanks! always good to have a shot in the arm!